I'm not sure how I would have made it through medical school without smoothies! This is an EXCELLENT way to supercharge your morning, afternoon, or post-workout recovery. You can pack in as many fruits or veggies as you like. I suggest getting creative, and always aiming for the goldren triad of healthy fat, fiber, and protein as components in your smoothies.
Place the following ingredients into your blender:
- 1 cup water, milk or juice of your choice (more or less depending on your preference for thickness)
- ½ scoop of protein powder (search Dr. Simko’s picks here)
- 1 TBS of healthy fiber like flax seeds or chia seeds
- 1/2 cup total mixed fruit (fresh or frozen- I love to add frozen Alaskan berries!)
- 1-2 leaves of organic Kale or your fav greens (if you have them)
- 1-2 large spoon-fulls of yogurt (your choice of dairy or non-dairy) for protein and taste
- 1-2 TBSP of a healthy fat like organic coconut oil or a nut butter (which adds protein too!
- A slice of lemon if you like the tartness
- Optional: experiment with nutrition boosters like vitamin C powder, probiotic powder (search for Dr. Simko's picks here)
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Serves: 1 (but I find that I like to drink some right away and take the rest as a snack to have between meals or on-the-go). Feel free to experiment to find what suits your lifestyle!